4 Uses for Washi Tape

I used to say that all tape was evil, but I've changed my mind. A little. About one kind of tape. Well, two if you count archival linen hingeing tape. Decorative tape printed with words, birds, designs, faux postage, strips, typewriter keys; all these patterns may be found on washi tape, and I'm for it. 

The word "washi" is a combination of "wa," Japanese, and "shi," paper. A favorite of mine is MT, which stands for "masking tape," but should not be confused with the hardware-store kind as it is translucent and low tack. It is repositionable and will not take the paint off your walls or leave a residue on your paper. On their website, MT states that it is "the original brand of washi paper masking tape created by the 100 year old company Kamoi Kakoshi," and was developed into this kind of decorative tape in 2006. I also like the sets of five rolls in boxes from Cavallini & Co.: Paris and Numbers.

I keep finding new uses for the tape, which can be expensive, but has no equal.

1. Bookbinding. If you are sewing a multiple-signature binding onto linen tapes or ribbons and you don't have a sewing frame, the ribbons (I'll call them ribbons so as not to confuse them with the washi tape) can be anchored temporarily as you sew over them. Use the washi tape to stick the ribbons to the back of the book. Remove the washi tape after you have sewn the book block.



2. Wrapping gifts. I like wrapping gifts in glassine paper and using a variety of decorative washi tapes instead of printed wrapping paper.  You need to use several pieces because the package will pop open otherwise. The tape is easy to peel off. 



3. Sewing guidelines. I was recently frustrated using sewing chalk because the lines kept coming out or it stained the cloth, but I needed a straight line for a sashiko-style pattern I wanted to sew. Turns out I had a washi tape just the right width that had numbers and markings evenly spaced. I could sew through the tape as well (although I did have to gently pull the stitches tighter in the back when I removed the tape.)




At the Codex book fair one year (and it's coming up again in February 2019) I bought this neat book Food and Drink from Liuyingchieh . She used washi tape as a jaunty way to frame her excellent illustrations. Her online shop is here.





Looks like there is only one left at her Etsy shop: linguine!

So you can use washi tape for collage, for framing an image or photo, and it reproduces well from a scan.

Need a place for all that washi tape? They make washi tape holders and dispensers as well. Got this inexpensive one from Daiso, the Japanese dollar store.


So many tapes, so much potential.





Comments

Me said…
Thank goodness. Ever since I read your thoughts on tape (and immediately bought some archival linen tape!) I've been feeling guilty about loving Washi tape. I've even used it to cover linen tape in an informal book. I like your suggestions -- some I hadn't thought of.

My favorite place to order MT is from Washimatta on Etsy. It's so fun to get a little hand-addressed and stamped package from Japan!
Alisa said…
Thanks for the tip about Washimatta. I think! I just ordered more from a distributor in Brooklyn, NY, but that sounds like much more fun. I just discovered there are places where you can have it custom made, too (minimum of 12 rolls). Ying-Chieh sells her own designs on washi tape as well.