Video: Those Who Wait Can Walk Through Walls

It wasn't until the middle years of my adult life that I saw my first butterfly emerge from a chrysalis. I had planted a parsley patch for myself, which proved convenient for many years. Unbeknownst to me, swallowtail caterpillars like to eat parsley, and fennel, both members of the same plant family, and the female will lay her eggs on those plants so her babies will be fed. After a couple of years, the caterpillars appeared, and we watched them grow. We had plenty of parsley to share. I just had to make sure I wasn't stealing someone's lunch when I made mine.

We had friends over the day the chrysalis was translucent, so we knew the emergence would be soon. A little girl came out to watch with me, and this book is dedicated to her.

Those Who Wait Can Walk Through Walls

Comments