Video: I Want It

I don't remember which came first, the book, I Want It, or the workshop I taught, "Tiny, Shiny Books." I may have made the book as an example, but that was in 2007, and I really don't remember. I suspect I made the book initially to be included in Painted Paper: Techniques & Projects for Handmade Books & Cards; it appears there on page 15. All I knew was that the book needed a very special box, almost tongue-in-cheek to go with the text, so I made a clamshell box and covered it with black velvet.

The book features a binding I designed, one I call "tied binding," that appears in Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms as "Miniature Tied Binding" on page 65. The definition of a "miniature" book is one that is 3" (7.5 cm) or less in any direction. (In the Spanish edition, El Gran Libro de la EncuadernaciĆ³n, it is called "Miniatura Con EncuadernaciĆ³n Atada.")

The pages are painted paper, scraps from other books and other projects, with text hand drawn in ink and with colorful waxed linen thread and beads to round out its novelty. A book about desire.

I Want It


More book art videos at my YouTube channel, never mind.

Comments