Book Art Video: Ocean Tucked In

Many years ago, my young nephew showed me a picture and told me that the boats were "at the back of the ocean," which sparked a small artist book called Ocean Tucked In. Of course the horizon looks like the back of the ocean, but I hadn't thought about it that way. Each page is its own glassine envelope with a linocut of a stylized bird diving into the water. Each envelope holds the text, letterpress printed on red Clearlay, a sturdy acetate, cut to resemble a Fortune Teller Fish, which was originally made of cellophane. In case they are all taken out at once, each fish has holes punched in it corresponding to the page numbers, one through six. The poem reflects on the mysteries of the sea and our human relationship with it.

Ocean Tucked In


More book art videos at my channel, never mind.

*

I recently collected all the art journals squirreled around my home and put them in order, which makes it possible for me to also share these process pages.


the poem being hashed out

and a completely different, one-of-a-kind scroll in a handmade box with objects and a felted, wordless book that also included the linocut image featured in Ocean Tucked In.

Word Waves & Wordless Tides




I used an actual Fortune Teller Fish in my artist book Delta, from the Catching a River Subscription in 1993.









Comments