Decorating with Paint

Around here, people leave things at the curb that they can't really bear to throw away, hoping someone else might be able to use them or at least take a liking to them and cart them away. I saw this little wooden curio cupboard, or rather, it called to me, so I picked it up. What? Why? It sat in the studio for a couple of weeks.


I don't have a big project I'm working on currently, or rather, not a craft one. I've been doing some writing and editing and sending out work. So, yesterday I painted the cabinet with black gesso. I thought I was going to paint it in wild colors, but even the intricate stencil I carved didn't want to be on it. Keep it simple, said my gut.

Paint It, Black, said the Rolling Stones.



My boxmaking skills came in handy. I made some little trays, a subtle color accent. Purple brocade book cloth and gold book cloth lining.

(Instructions for boxes in Making Handmade Books, pp. 226-234 [Amazon link])


I can pull them out when I have a notion to have a few things at my fingertips.
(More enchanted egg pin cushions at nevermindtheart)

Meanwhile, I have loved the "kintsugi" cloth I bought several years ago, but just have a strip left. Maybe my first stencil (top and bottom in photo below) would look good in gold on black cloth? I also carved a second stencil (center, and left) , then overlapped it.

Commercial cloth strip on the left, then my two pieces.
To be cut up.


It just might lead to the next art project. We shall see.










Comments