Catching Up and Upcoming Exhibits

Life and death have been a stumbling block to posting, but not to projects. I've leaked a few out online, but there were (and are) others. Coming up in July, I will be installing a few of them in the Albany, California library cases. A small show I'm calling Branching Out: Mixed-media Art Inspired by Trees. Installation will be Sunday afternoon, July 2, and the show will run July 3 - July 31, when I will deinstall in the late afternoon, nearer to closing time. (If you would like a paper postcard and don't think you are on my snail mail list, send me your address via email or in the comments section; I won't post it publicly.)

A preview of new art.

Just finished (June 2023), a series of eight small tabletop sculptures created from a friend's scrap wood, assembled, glued, and painted by me, Forest Bathing. Here are three of the eight. They are numbered and signed.


You can read about the concept of "forest bathing" in a National Geographic article here. According to the 2019 article by Sunny Fitzgerald (an apt name!), "the term originated in Japan in the 1980s."

Branching Out: Mixed-media Art Inspired by Trees
Albany Library
1247 Marin Ave (at Masonic Ave)
Albany, California

Hours: M 12-6; TW 12-8; Th 10-6; Sa 10-5; Su 1-5

Also included is this print, letterpress printed from wood and metal type and a collagraph of birch leaves and twigs, Trustful. (March 2023)


And a weaving, one of many called Birch Gift. During the winter, a big storm blew down thin branches from a birch tree up the hill. I gathered them, made a crude loom from cardboard, and began to weave with waxed linen thread. It was calming. I made many. (January 2023)


And there is more, including small art quilts.

*

Other work, not included in the exhibit, that I haven't posted, is a series of prints on silk organza, layered and stitched to a stretched canvas, Hidden Dangers. The linocuts are all from what I call my library of linoleum: cuts I carved for other projects throughout the years. (April 2023)

Hidden Dangers: In the Bloom

Hidden Dangers: Roots Unbound
(If I have room I might include this one)

Hidden Dangers: Tell Me Again

Hidden Dangers: Whisper Underwater

Another exhibit coming up, this one mid-July: Things with Wings at ACCI Gallery in Berkeley. My art quilt, Crows and Cons, and the collaboration with Dianne Ayres, Letters of Transit: Bird Passports are included. More on that later!


Comments