Perfect Poached Egg

I've written many instructions, but this next project pushes the boundaries of art, craft, reading, and creative writing. If you are not an egg eater, skip this one. It really is about eggs. When I order a poached egg in a restaurant it always seems to come out so nicely done, and I wondered how might I make one. Online research gave me some suggestions, with which I decided to experiment; two terms that kept coming up were: vinegar and vortex. One even said to try boiling the egg in a greased ladle (yes, I tried that, too). While the perfect instructions may indeed exist elsewhere, I was not satisfied, so I created my own. This egg comes out well 99% of the time with the instructions that follow. Definitely a craft! But easy to master!

Ingredients: one egg; 3 C water; 2 teaspoons white vinegar

Materials: custard cup; measuring teaspoon; regular teaspoon; small quart stovetop pot; timer; slotted spoon

Optional: toast and butter, avocado, salt, pepper, etc.

Gather your ingredients. Break the egg into the custard cup.

Put the water in pot. Add two teaspoons of white vinegar. (I don't taste it in the end result.)

Turn on the burner to medium high heat. Wait until bubbles form and start rising quickly to the surface.

Have your egg in the cup nearby. With a regular spoon, stir the gently boiling water in fast circles to make a vortex and quickly…

slide the egg into the very center as the water swirls around.

It will spin around, whirling the white around the yolk. There's always a little floaty part.

Set a timer for three minutes. Watch that the pot doesn't start boiling rapidly; keep the water gentle.

Slip the egg out of the water with the slotted spoon.

Add to your toast, or to some warm and spicy tomato stew for shakshouka, or however you like!



Comments