A friend once told me her son asked what happens after we die, and she explained to him her views. He thought a moment, then asked,”Is the desert the way out?” I’ve thought about that question over many years, as I pass through deserts, as I drive on interstate highways next to what are or once were deserts. And I’m intrigued by an installation by Michael C. McMillen (Aristotle’s Cage) at the Oakland Museum where a trailer and abandoned cars are alone in a vast desert space, accompanied by the sound of a radio. Here, my quilt muses on those stories and incorporates shadows of pyramids as well, reminders of people who came before us. And the desert will still be there after we are gone.
Desert
24"w x 21.5"h (61 cm x 54.5 cm)
Hand-dyed linen, cotton, velvet; letterpress printed cotton; Japanese cotton; raw-edge appliqué; sandwiching; kaantha stitching; hand, free-motion and machine quilting; machine joining
Details
and the back
Comments