When everything is going out the window I look out mine. I’ve been feeding the Anna’s hummingbirds for years, and by careful watching I have begun to understand their preferences and patterns. I never get tired of watching their emerald green wings and backs as they zoom around the yard and rest on nearly invisible tiny branches, almost camouflaged in the trees.
Out the Window
24"w x 29.25"h (51 cm x 74,3 cm)
Hand-dyed cotton, flannel, velvet; acrylic-ink pigmented linen; deColourant on cotton; letterpress on coton; Japanese cotton; found fabric; silk organza; sequins; seed beads; hand quilted; machine quilted, machine pieced and joined
Details
Sequins and seed beads make the hummingbird. Silk organza for the curtain.
Seed stitch quilting with variegated sashiko thread. Crumple-dyed cotton in upper left, hand-dyed flannel below it and deColourant on black cotton below that. The main background is acrylic-ink pigmented crumpled linen.
The joining technique makes it possible to add borders later, before binding, if desired. I like using variegated thread for it. Found cotton and a scrap from letterpress printing from wood type near the bottom with hand-dyed velvet next to that. Some sheer green windowpane fabric for the binding from my friend Dianne.
Not to get too romantic about them; they defend their territory from one another, each convinced it belongs to them. And they do chase and sometimes fight. However, this year two females sometimes sit within inches of each other without conflict which makes me wonder if they were nestmates. Or maybe just friends? There are three feeders, and I believe I have seen four hummingbirds. Come on, everyone! Let's share!
Comments