Book Cloth Art Quilts: Afterwards, Shorebird Meetup, Overwinter

After having made books for over thirty years and retired from teaching bookbinding and book art, I find myself with rolls of book cloth and a bin of book cloth scraps. I work from the rolls periodically for gifts and guest books, but the scraps are really only good for making endbands or collages. Collages. I’ve been making small cards with fabric scraps for a few years, so using the book cloth should be similar. It is. And you can even iron it afterwards.

Perhaps we are born to sort, to figure things out. I’m a fan of solid colors, particularly working with shades and gradations, so I began sorting by color. Reds were first, then greens, blues, tans, and purples.



I layer and machine stitch one or two colors on interfacing as a background collage, then decide what image makes sense with the color(s). I comb through the bin of stencils I’ve made previously for one that fits, as I did for “Afterwards,” or I may draw and cut a new stencil, which I did for “Shorebird Meetup” and “Overwinter.” The latter has a two-color stenciled image. Backing the piece with linen fabric and stitching with complementary or contrasting sashiko or embroidery thread finishes the quilt. Rather than a slat and sleeve, I imagine these works as framed, floating inside a mat. 

Afterwards
21”w x 19.75”h (53.5 cm x 50 cm)
Paper-backed book cloth; fabric paint with handmade stencils; interfacing; linen; hand quilted; machine appliquéd and hemmed 

On a road trip I saw a field of burnt grapevines, blackened and bent over, which prompted this fiery scene. Perhaps the metallic gold branches are rising from the ashes.




*


Shorebird Meetup
20”w x 28”h (51 cm x 71 cm)
Paper-backed book cloth; fabric paint with handmade stencils; interfacing; linen; hand quilted; free-motion quilted; machine appliquéd and hemmed

Blues and tans always suggest ocean and beach to me. My weekly walk by San Francisco bay calls out these shorebirds as familiar friends: Snowy Egret, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, and the little peeps, perhaps Sanderlings.





*

Overwinter
20”w x 28”h (51 cm x 71 cm)
Paper-backed book cloth; fabric paint with handmade stencils; interfacing; linen; silver-lined crystal seed beads; hand quilted; machine appliquéd and hemmed

Although Monarch butterflies are known to have a migration pattern, they seem to thrive in our neighborhood year round these warming days. But when I traveling south and catch a glimpse of hundreds of them clustered and overwintering on a tree, I feel there may be hope.





Overwinter will be featured in the California Society of Printmakers' 112th Annual Exhibition online in late October / early November. Watch for it here.

And if you want to make some Monarch wings for yourself, I've scaled them up for a costume to be printed on whatever cloth you like at Spoonflower here.





Comments