It would be another ocean quilt. Freehand, I cut organic shapes from a piece of cotton I had painted with metallic blue. After arranging the pieces, I saw the quilt would need more of a focal point and added a few of the fish I had cut out from my quilt, Avoid Long Lines. And then more shapes, reminding me of plants and micro-organisms, and bubble-like seed beads. The sea is as much a mystery as space, but right here on earth, demanding our protection.
Undersea Odyssey
22.25"w x 23.5"h (57 cm x 60 cm)
Cotton; fabric paint; appliqué; seed beads; metallic thread; variety of scraps; hand stitched and hand quilted
Details:
All hand quilted
The detail above reminds me of when I was an art specialist in a kindergarten class for a couple days. I learned that part of the curriculum was to teach the five-year-olds to differentiate between fiction and nonfiction. A child brought their drawing to the teacher, who looked at it and said, "Fish don't wear party hats." That made me sad. Of course they do.
And the back:
A friend prefers to call the quilt, "Swordfish Spaceship."





Comments