Rose Is a Rose Is a Rose Quilts

An abstract black-on-orange pattern on a dress sleeve prompted a drawing and then this exploration of a rose. With handpainted linen leftover from Harlequin and Little Harlequin Bird. I began cutting organic shapes, thinking of an abstract flower. I was interested in how the pieces fell on the black cotton, looking like a stencil, but how I could move them around or immediately trim them to my satisfaction One small one didn’t use up all the painted linen, so I kept cutting shapes until I had pieces for three small quilts. Perhaps 3/4 of Gertrude Stein’s “A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose.” 

I took the three roses to ACCI Gallery in Berkeley, where they will be for sale in a few weeks. I was just accepted as a member, so look for many more of my quilts there! My artist page is already up here: Alisa Golden. Work is not in the online shop or in the store as of yet, but do keep checking!



Rose I
11.75"w x 12"h (30 cm x 30.5 cm)
Painted linen; cotton; found fabric; applique; hand quilted

Rose II
9.5"w x 8.25"h (24 cm x 21 cm)
Painted linen; cotton; found fabric; applique; hand quilted



Rose III
9.25"w x 14.5"h (23.5 cm x 37 cm)
Painted linen; cotton; found fabric; applique; hand quilted


Detail:
All are hand quilted, black on black, with running stitches. And each red piece is hand stitched as well. Standard binding with matching black cotton.


Backs









Comments