The Box Lid that Got a Stencil

After I made the demo box for the blog post, "Covering a Two-Piece Box with Single Sheets," I realized the box wasn't done. It needed some kind of decoration or indicator that it was a special box, of sorts. The iridescent and dark greens suggested plantlife to me, and it's spring, so what plant would it be? Jasmine vines and blossoms.

In Painted Paper: Techniques & Projects for Handmade Books & Cards (pages 77-82) I show how to make a stencil with multiple colors. You start with a drawing that becomes the key, also known as the "key line drawing." After deciding how many colors you want, you cut pieces of frosted Mylar, one for each color. In this case, I chose three: light pink, purple, and green. I used acrylic paint and acrylic gesso with a small flat brush. The following is a quick demo; the box looks nicer.









The two-piece Jasmine-stenciled green box is now available at nevermindtheart, should you so desire it. SOLD


Comments