Bird Art at Albany Library, May 2019

At our local library, here in the one-square-mile city of Albany, California, residents can sign up to display an assortment of things in the glass display case. In the past, the idea was that people would show their "collections." Every few years I sign up to show my work. This year, it seemed fitting to show all the work I have done that features birds.


Having set up in this space before, I knew what to expect and came prepared with scissors and tape, pieces of cardboard for props or signs and pens. I printed up my display cards, mounted my statements, gathered the books and prints. I mapped out where things might go ahead of time, but it still took about an hour and a half. While the librarian scraped tape residue off of one of the shelves, I wiped the others clean.

And so now it is up! And it will be there at 1247 Marin Ave through about 4pm on May 30, 2019.

We got ospreys, eagles, crows, magpies, mockingbirds, hummingbirds, rock dove, bluebirds, quail, owls, chickens, plus American coot, green heron, white-tailed kite, mallard duck, and black oystercatcher. And, of course, the new collaboration with Dianne Ayres.


L. Shelf 1: Better Say Eagle; Maggie and When the Crows Came; photo of SFCB Roadworks event with Richmond the Osprey; felted crow
2: Magpie & Mockingbird; She Is the Keeper; "Bird" (from Lizard's Snake Suit); Rock Dove; The Golden Beak
3: Letters of Transit: Bird Passports (with Dianne Ayres)
4: My five instructional books, the magazine I publish: Star 82 Review (with bird photos on covers); linocut cards

R. Shelf 1: Rivet and Whirley; "the osprey chicks are looking up" (print); "All Due Respect" (linocut card with Rosie the Osprey)
2: Crows at Home; The Bones of Crows; "Scare Crow Dream" (print); The Crow's Library
3: Birds of the Bible: Quail (NEW! more later!); "Bluebird of Happiness" (print); statements about birds and art and books from Cindy Margulis, Executive Director of Golden Gate Audubon Society and from Mary Austin, Co-founder, San Francisco Center for the Book
4: A Tangled Yarn (altered book-box); A Witness to Curious Speed; "Am I Dreaming" pillow; papier mache nest and collaged wooden eggs; Oh Great Chicken

Most prints and cards are at nevermindtheart. Some books are available through Vamp and Tramp Booksellers.

*
For further bird inspiration see http://sfbayospreys.org . If all goes well, chicks are due to hatch from Rosie and Richie's three eggs in the next two weeks!
*

Previously at the library: In 2008, I showed my students' book art from California College of the Arts and San Francisco Art Institute. In 2009, I showed "What I Felt: Books and Objects Made of Wool;" 2010, I displayed my books in boxes, "Fabrications: Books and Story-Based Objects" (link to old web page); 2016 was "Housework: Handmade Books and House-shaped Boxes," in a post, here.


Comments