Gatherings: Thread Collages

My mind frequently goes back to the inspirational 2018 exhibit of textiles at Cooper Hewitt Museum,  "Scraps," particularly the work by Christina Kim (blog post here). I like the idea of continuing to use the offcuts from larger projects and making something new. The new scraps are smaller, which lend themselves to a smaller scale.

Gathering several small scrap bags, I started sorting them out by color.

I've used Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy [Amazon link], also in 2018 (blog post here), but decided to take it on as the substrate for a finished piece. Or two, or six. I'm calling them "Gatherings" and, unusually for me, I'm not titling each one (just calling each one a singular, Gathering), preferring to let the personality of each speak for itself. They are loosely based on real-world places and themes, but I don't think, in this case, where color and composition are foregrounded, that it adds anything to know more. Each is  8"w x 10"h. 

They are now available at nevermindtheart on Etsy, listed by color. More details there.

Multi


Blue Purple

Red

Green/Pumpkin

Brown


Other work made from scraps: Enchanted Egg Pin Cushions.




Comments