Art Quilt: Reaching the Oasis

I had sorted some of my book cloth scraps, leftover from my bookmaking days, into color palettes and made Afterwards with the red, Shorebird Meetup with the blue and Overwinter with the green, all written about in this post. The yellow-golds remained, reminding me of Desert, another recent quilt I had made.

As I laid them out, I found one piece I really liked that had previous experimental stitching on it: light blue on ivory. I would work from that. Stream of consciousness flowed from desert to water to oasis, and a vision of reaching arms. I drew and cut the arm stencil, stenciled and flipped it. Reaching the Oasis.

Reaching the Oasis
19.75"w x 28"h (50 cm x 71 cm)
Paper-backed book cloth; linen; appliqué; kaantha stitching; hand and machine stitched; hand quilting

Details:

A variety of running stitches, two based on sashiko stitches.


The puckering is intentional, like the kaantha stitching learned recently.



The expedition continues.






Comments